Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I decided to try a read aloud to my class one day. It just so happened to be a book we're currently reviewing as a choice for Literacy Day next year called The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. I read the last half of the first chapter to my Biology 1 Theory class, and boy did it ever work! Every student was intrigued by the book! They did not want me to stop. This also led to a great discussion about viruses that really reinforced the unit on DNA we were finishing up. Several students told me that they even went out and got the book so they could read it themselves. I was thinking this would be a great strategy for a class with students that really have no interest in reading. Even if you don't read the whole book, just a small section of it could really peak their interest and might actually encourage them to go out and get it so they can find out what happens.

1 comment:

McAbee said...

Sounds GREAT Herb...Keep it up!