Monday, November 5, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks

Being on the downside of a career in teaching, I have been witness to a decline in reading skills that is rather alarming and sad. Most students simply will not focus long enough to absorb content through reading it. I can either complain that students won't read or do something to make a difference. I guess I am, with some trepidation, doing the latter. This past week I used the "bookmark" strategy for the first time. We learned it in our last meeting, and it sounded like something simple that even I could try. Well, most of the students actually did it! There were questions about "why", of course, but most got the idea that it focuses your attention on the passage and allows you to very briefly summarize your reading with a few key ideas. It also gives you a place to jot a question you may have. And last, but not least, you have a bookmark!

1 comment:

arahman said...

I haven't heard of this strategy, could you please tell me more about it?