Tuesday, November 13, 2007

RAISSE-ING at PHS

Project RAISSE is helping me realize that using my geomety textbook, as the only resource, is not the best strategy to use in enhancing student learning or encouraging students to read. The literacy strategies that I have tried so far and seem to work well with my students include webquests, games, read alouds, exit slips, silent graffiti, journal writing, and guided reading. Cartoons can also be used as an excellent strategy. Some cartoons can be used to teach from and are academic, not entertaining, in nature. They make excellent bell-ringers. One of my personal goals in Project RAISSE is to try to develop literacy strategies that will assist my students in better comprehending word problems in math. Who would have ever thought that I would be doing this in math? This approach is foreign to most math teachers. However, I am already seeing positive results.

2 comments:

McAbee said...

I am so glad that you are trying Brenda. You CAN teach an old dog new.

kam said...

I love the cartoon idea too, and either white out the dialogue and overwrite with "my own Math" to get their problem solving going, or let them fill in the dialogue and have them create new problems. That allows them to share and solve each others problems as well. Even though these are designed to be funny. I do require accurate mathematical verbiage.