Friday, February 15, 2008

Adding Clipart to make reading/handouts/notes more fun

I have noticed a difference in my classes with thier graphic organizers that I had out and other notes when I add clipart. They seem to be more engaged and less afraid of work. I add clipart on tests to make them more relaxed. I love to see them smile about the clipart as handouts and readings are handed out. Some people might think that the clipart is a little "elementary" or "too childish" but the students appreciate the fact that I am trying to make their notes and other material more friendly. For example, I teach Spanish and when teaching about J-stem irregulars in the preterite tense, I found a little dog thats body and tail formed the letter J and it was really cute. All of my PowerPoints have a handout with 1/2 the notes already written out for them, so that we can move along with the material and not waste time with note taking. Their notes are extremely helpful when they are going to study for a test or quiz because their notes are organized. If you haven't tried doing this for your students, you should try it and enjoy the reaction from your students!

7 comments:

SHalloran said...

I have to agree with this statement. I teach PE and have added the equipment and items related to the sport we are teaching to help them study and visualize what the sports equipment and items are. I have seen progress with their tests in regards to understanding the material.

BHumble said...

I like using clipart on tests. I use the clipart to represent the vocabulary. Then, students write the vocabulary word. This makes them take out the "middle man" of English that is so common with vocabulary testing/quizzes. Instead they have to build connections between the vocabulary and a visualization of the word instead of building the connection with another word and written text.

broebuck said...

I think I will try adding clipart to my Geometry tests. Maybe my students will think my tests are more user friendly.

pwr said...

Isn't amazing that some times the simple things are so worth doing---I am definitely going to try this suggestion---I can definitely see where something humorous or positive would be a great way to reduce stress and encourage learning-a simple way to bring "fun" back into education!!
pwr

Kim T said...

I love adding clip art/drawings/cartoons to my tests, handouts, and PowerPoints. The students like them (sometimes they get a good laugh out of my artistic efforts). I'm not sure I can find much to illustrate vocabulary in Statistics, but I can come up with things to illustate the word problems. I think the art makes the word problem a little less intimidating.

hahenglishteach said...

I add a lot of clip art to handouts, but have not tried adding to tests. Thanks for the great idea...I can't wait to try it out!

curlyq said...

The very first principal I worked for praised me for hanging elementary type posters in my room. He swore that the students loved elementary school and hated high school and he felt that my posters gave them "flashbacks" to happier times. I never really thought of it that way until I read your comment. Maybe all teenagers need to be reminded of the kid they really are and if a clipart helps, then that is great. Good idea!