Monday, February 18, 2008

Literacy Day at Gilbert

I am still thinking about the segment from this morning's session that showed the eye-tracking involved with reading books that have illustrations. As a grandmother who often buys books I am going to be more aware of the placement of visual cues with regards to the verbal cues. Even though we had previewed our textbooks in our study session with Dee, Erin, and Mark I was reminded the role the organization of the verbal cues as well as the picture cues can play in instruction and learning. I have never been involved in a session involving the Socratic Circle, so I did walk away from the afternoon with a lot to think about and the ways it could be used in the classroom to engage students in the lesson as well as to develop deeper levels of thinking about issues or concepts. Thanks to the GHS staff who made the PHS staff feel welcomed. pwr

4 comments:

Sharie Cato said...

I really enjoyed the session on the Socratic Seminar/Circle, too. I have had a little trouble finding ways to use some of the RAISSE strategies in my Health Science classes, but I can see how the Socratic method can fit perfectly. We discuss medical ethics often. Now I can't wait to use the Socratic Seminar with my seniors.

Kim T said...

Did anyone video today's sessions? I'd love to get a copy to view. I was home with a stomach virus and missed Literacy Day. I was diappointed to miss what sounded like an interesting, informative day.

hahenglishteach said...

I found the eye-tracking study fascniating! I had observed signs of this while tutoring this past summer; however, the tracking explains so much that we are incapable of noticing with the "naked eye." I truly believe that the examination of textbooks using the guided sheets provided by Dr. Feathers will not only be useful in our teaching but in selecting textbooks in the future for our school/district.

kam said...

Also a grandmother and my favorite things are books. An avid reader myself, I have always encouraged my children and grands to "lets read a book". What I thought was easy has now become a science...watching for those visual cues.