Thursday, February 7, 2008

Music in the Classroom

Several people have discussed how they use music in the classroom, so I thought I would share this site and information.
http://www.voicesacrosstime.org/
It is primarily a history resource, but I think some of the ideas could be used in a variety of classes.

The information about their institute is quoted below. I would love to go, but I doubt that I will be able to do it! Maybe someone can.
------
Summer Institute
Voices Across Time was also the basis of a Summer Institute for Teachers funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities and hosted by the University of Pittsburgh. Offered in 2004 and 2006, we hope to offer the Institute again in 2008.
----
Janet

2 comments:

Yelena said...

I like a lot to use music in my French class. I play it along with my cultural Power Point presentations, my student's individual work, but most effective I found using French songs to demonstrate grammatical elements (like negative, future, present and past tenses, adjective aggreements, etc). Students get songs stuck in their heads and sometimes I hear them singing on a quiz to get the correct answer.

McAbee said...

I have tried using songs with my History students and they (75%) of them can't stand it.