Monday, February 4, 2008

Scavenger Hunts

In class last week, our group leader modeled a scavenger hunt on character education. Each of the six members in our group chose one of the pillars of character education. We were asked to find a cartoon, a quote, a photograph, and a read aloud that demonstrated the traits of that pillar. Using this model, I developed a scavenger hunt for my Geometry class that I plan to use this semester. Students will be introduced to the idea of 3-D shapes with a Read Aloud (The Greedy Triangle) and then divided into 5 groups. Each group will be assigned one of the following shapes: prism, pyramid, cylinder, cone, or sphere. The students will go on a scavenger hunt outside the classroom to locate objects that represent their shape. Upon returning to the classroom, the students will use poster paper to list the objects found, write an appropriate definition for the shape, draw a 2-D net and a 3-D drawing of the shape, write the surface area and volume formula for the shape, and create a word problem using the formulas. If anyone has additional ideas for scavenger hunts that could be used in math, please send them my way.

3 comments:

egreen said...

That sounds really cool. Let me know how that works for you. How are you going to go about letting your students loose in the school are or is going to be more like a group tour of the school? With what level of student are you going to do this?
I am also going to try a scavenger hunt, but I am going to use as a cumulative review activity in which the students have to find pictures from magazines that illustrate geometric terms. I have thought about doing an electronic version of this concept, but I have just never gotten that going.

MJeffcoat said...

We are constantly reminded that students should not be our of our sights. How are you going to allow the student to scavenger?

broebuck said...

I plan to try the scavenger hunt this semester with my Honors Geometry class. I am going to email the faculty and staff on the day we do it, so that they will know why we are touring the building. For this first attempt,
I am going to keep the whole class together as we scavenge, so that I can keep all students in my view.