Friday, February 15, 2008

Finding Short Pieces to Read Aloud

I was looking over my books after our latest meeting, and I thought I would share some ideas about books in which I have found some good Read Alouds. When my parents were cleaning out their old books, I snagged a few that have great pieces in them. I found several Books of Amazing Facts, Facts and Fallicies, Guiness Books of World Records, Travel Stories, Amazing Stories of the TwentiethCentury, etc... Some of these are a little out dated, but they have some interesting stories. Also, whenever I happen to be strolling the flea markets, or antique malls, or garage sales, I always see lots of books for $1 or less. Sometimes there are books like these stuck in the bottom of the box. In fact I picked up a few good ones at the LMS garage sale over the summer. Finding the right Read Aloud for a lesson could be serendipitous or it might take some reading. I don't know if that helps, but anyway...
Vicky Jackson

4 comments:

Sharie Cato said...

I never thought about using these books. I bet you found many treasures in your parents' attic. Great Idea! Also, it was wonderful to see you at Gilbert High today ~ just didn't have any time to chat!

kam said...

What great ideas and "treasures" is the word that I would use too. I often mention these little articles or amazing facts and the kids love to hear about them, but to make it a habit to read aloud is another fab tool for our education arsenal.

Renee said...

I have also known a teacher who would clip out articles from Reader's Digest. One that I remember the most is about a black boy in poverty, mom couldn't read(her children didn't know it at the time). She cleaned rich people's houses and thought about what was in common in these houses--books. She then made her sons read so many hours a day and write her a report on each book.(of course she pretended to read them). The short of this is that both sons were sucessful and one is a premiere brain surgeon. Talk about parent involvement.

arahman said...

Vicky, I have been struggling with finding Read Alouds that pertain to the subject but reading your blog has made me realize that read alouds don't have to be part of the lesson. It's still a great way to bring in current events, fun facts, etc. What do you generally do after a read aloud? Have them write a response, if so how? About what? How do you have them keep it? In a writer's journal? Just curious, thanks!