Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Class Blog at http://theposterboard.blogspot.com

My classes are now blogging. The process has been very rewarding. It has taken three days to get everyone "invited" to participate. After much trial and error, I have discovered that the smoothest way to "invite" is to have the students:
1. Create a Google Account
2. Create a Gmail Account
3. Invite to Blog via their Gmail

Everything seems to go smoother when you stay in "Google World".
I had problems with the "invitation to join the blog" that I sent to emails other than Gmail. It was difficult to accept and to respond to the invitation.
When Usernames and Password are "Googlized", the process is friendlier.

Please go and view the blog at http://theposterboard.blogspot.com
We are in our infancy, but I believe that I am bringing them along as I grow and become more at ease with the process.
They started out responding by "texting", but each day as we review and comment on their work, they seem to be improving.
the important thing at this point is that they seem to like the activity.
I am open to all suggestions.
Yesterday I created a different post for each class and they expressed their dislike for not being able to read all their fellow students comments on one post. Hopefully they are learning from each other.

I'll "Keep You Posted".

7 comments:

Dee Culbreth said...

The kids are talking about this one. Some of them don't get it yet, but the one's I've read are pretty good. Its nice to have them thinking about things in life and not just going through the day oblivious to the world. Good job!

curlyq said...

THIS IS THE BEST! I am so glad that our students have been offered a sounding board for issues that are relevant to their lives. This generation has learned how to express themselves via the internet and cellphones, yet the public school system has failed to engage this technology. We restrict them from taking out their cellphones during school hours, but no one in the building has thought that if I text a student to answer a question, then that student will be engaged in their own learning AND LIKE IT. The use of this blog has really engaged the students in thinking about their education and the world around them today. It has sparked conversations and debate. Too bad the administration will not read it and LEARN from it. They will find it offensive and, probably, shut it down. If that happens, the students will AGAIN have been knocked down and feel more violated and less engaged in the classroom and school. I am glad that this has been put in place and I am thankful the students have it. I hope and pray that it gets POSITIVE attention and is encouraged. If not, it is a damn shame.

Kim T said...

I look forward to reading the posterboard daily. It really gives a good feel for what the students at our school are thinking. It has been interesting watching their writing and thinking evolve over the blog. Some of the earlier posts seem rather shallow, but later posts show insight and wisdom far beyond the students' chronological ages. Don's students blog at the beginning of class. The only way this would work in a regular class is if we had a classroom set of computers. Don also has to invite students to join the blog which takes time on his part. I do think that the blog should not be opened up to postings from anyone but students at our school.

Yelena said...

I am thingking to use blogging in my French classes and it would have been ideal if they blog in French. What else a FL teacher can dream about! This post made me think that blog may be great motivation for my students even though level 1 students will have difficulties expressing themselves in a target language. Another question I have about it is how much of instructionnal time it might take... But I' eager to give it a try any way!

pwr said...

I have read several of the topic comments and I am not sure if some students are writing their own reflections are just repeating what others are saying. I realize that teenagers often seem to think alike in many areas-just surprised that more have not commented on the comments of their peers. In any event,I salute Don on his attempt to provide an avenue for the students to feel free to share their opinions.

Panther1 said...

I also agree. This is a great way to involve students in technology. It also gives them a way to be heard.

NWilliams said...

I can't wait to try this in my Animation Class. I think this would be a great way for them to help each other with ideas for projects. Also, they could e-mail me with questions and completed assignments.

Real life scenarios, that's what it's all about.

Way to go PARKER!!!