Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spanish/English Book Activity

My Level 3 Spanish Students have learned about the past tenses and are now trying to write stories using both the preterit and the imperfect. I borrowed an English fabel book that begins talking about....Once upon a time....and they are going to do fun reading exercises with it that connect with our standards. They are going to underline the verbs in the past tense and tell me if it were translated into Spanish, would the verb be conjugated in the preterit or the imperfect and why. This is going to help them with their essays they are writing about their lives, 1) what they were like when they were younger and 2) what were their favorite memories. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could do with this English fabel book, maybe something that could be an extension of this before we do it?

3 comments:

J. Haxton said...

You spelled "fable" wrong.

Yelena said...

This is a great idea using English fable and analize the use of the past tense. Athother idea is to use a Spanish fable in English and do the same thing with the verbs, but at the same time you will touch a lot of culture with this reading. I have never used a fable in English for this goal, but I usually do it with French tales in French and I have my students underline verbs in the tense we are learning and translate or explane their use in fable. This way students see the use of the past tense in an authentic document. I like a lot your essay themes, you may also ask students to come up with their own ideas on what to write about!

cmlotz said...

It's great how fables cn be cross-curricular. I use fables with my animal farm unit because I try to drill into the studetns why some authors like to use animals in the place of people. It makes their understanding of Orwell's choice to use animals easier. I even have them act out some of the fables which gets them excited about what reading will come. I find that what is ocnsidered children's literature can be used in any classroom for effectual learning. Keep up your fable reading and rewriting and I shall do the same.