Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Triskaidekaphobia

I recently found an article about triskaidekaphobia, the fear of the number thirteen. I thought that my math students would enjoy reading this article. This week my students are going to read this article and complete a follow up writing assignment. The writing assignment asks them to describe some of their fears about mathematics. If they do not have any fears about math, they are asked to describe fears that they have about another school subject.

2 comments:

Angela Levan said...

Triskaidekaphobia, I had never heard of this label. I wonder how you overcome the fear? Does it say in the article? I teach computer science. There are a lot of folks who are afraid of computers. I wonder what this fear is labeled....hmmmm..

NWilliams said...

I will help you out. The fear of computers is called Cyberphobia.

I hope this helps.

:)