Monday, March 24, 2008

Literacy Day

PHS is planning a Literacy Day next December. One of the books chosen to read is A Thousand Splendid Suns. The author also wrote The Kite Runner. Erin gave me the book to read and, let me tell you, I started it and couldn't put it down. I read it in one weekend and still find myself thinking about the book. I thought of Afghanistan as being a "backward" third world country but this book opened my eyes to the reality that, before the Taliban, Afghanistan was a modern country with DVD players, Fanta orange, and movie theaters. I encourage all of you to read this book. It will open your eyes as well as the eyes of your students.

5 comments:

hahenglishteach said...

Have you read The Kite Runner? It is a wonderful book...I look forward to reading A Thousand Splendid Suns!

pwr said...

The Kite Runner has to be one of my most favorite books so I cannot wait to have the time to read A Thousand Splendid Suns--this has been a most demanding year for me (and others I am sure)-can't wait to start my selected summer reading!!! Thanks for the suggestion! pwr

Skennerly said...

I have heard The Kite Runner is a moving book. I've tried to find the movie and it's never in the store. I look forward to the book and movie. It should be a good choice for Literacy Day.

Angela Levan said...

I have not read either book but I do look forward to doing so. I have heard nothing but good things of both titles. Hopefully the Literacy Day at PHS will spark a much needed fire under our students so they will fall in love with reading again. I know most small children love to read to and read,hopefully they spirit will return to our teenagers.

Panther1 said...

I also would like to read this book. I have a brother-in-law serving in Afghanistan and it's startling something of the things we heard about life there.