Monday, April 14, 2008

Does this count as a Post?

The Money Tree
by
Don Parker

When I was a boy in my hometown
People came from miles around
To see the great big Money Tree
That grew in the yard next door to me.

The people looked ‘till their eyes ‘most popped
To see the money that grew on top.
The big bills high and the little bills low.
The money grew from head-to-toe

The wind would blow and money fell
You ought to have heard the people yell.
Maybe a thousand or two would fall
But I could never get any at all.

One day a tornado with might force
Found the Money Tree in its course.
It twisted and turned as best as it could
Then finally splintered the tender wood.

Around the world the seeds were blown
And somewhere else a tree has grown.
I’ll search this earth ’till I’m old and grew
And find my Money Tree again someday.

Now life is like this tale I’ve told
It’s been that way since the days of old.
If you look you will find what you are searching for.
It might be found through the very next door.


P.S. I wrote this in middle school for a poetry contest.
The teacher accused me of cheating.
I never told anyone.
I didn't write for 20 years.
It's being made into a children's book.

2 comments:

vic said...

Very Cool!
Vicky J

Mrs. Wills said...

Hi. This post is from Wade Cooke. I am using Lisa's username/password because I was having password problems.

This counts as a post for you and me. I enjoyed reading your poem. Good luck with the book. Maybe it will be read-aloud one day in my class!