Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Story Book Assignment

I used this activity with my Public Speaking class. Most of them enjoyed it and were successful in the creation of it and the presentation of it. Some students had trouble understanding how to present complicated material in a story book format. They kept asking, how are little kids going to understand it? I explained that this was the format for the project. Maybe no little kids would actually read it. Some could not grasp this idea. But for the most part it was a success. First I gave them asn assignment sheet with topics from which to choose, explict expectation of what would be turned in, including an outline of the topic, a story board for their story, pictures in cluded, and a works cited page. Some of the topics included the communication process, what makes an effective speech communicator, nonverbal communication, barriers to effective listening, faulty reasoning, and stage fright. I also suggested some sites to help them format their works cited page. Once they had all finished their books and saved them to the O drive, I printed them out, and bound them using the library's binder machine. They LOVED getting their story books back looking so nice. We then invited classes to hear our presentations. Next time I think I will split this up between two days, so that it doesn't take an entire class away from the visitors, and I will have some sort of evaluation tool for visiting students to fill out. I enjoyed this activity as did the students and will be looking for other ways to incorporate it.
Vicky J

No comments: