Saturday, April 26, 2008

Grading Portfolios

I just had to write--eventhough it is 12:30 A.M. on a Saturday morning. I brought the portfolios of my two study groups home with me to grade. I turn them in to USC on Monday, so of course, I am not grading them until the weekend before--you teachers understand that, right??? Well, I certainly didn't imagine that I'd be grading them on Friday night! However, that is EXACTLY what happened.

I brought them into the house to clean out the car for my usual weekend job--carting my kids around to various activities. I casually picked up one notebook to flip through--and was HOOKED!

Each one of my ten study group members' portfolios was wonderful. I could hardly believe all that we'd done together--must less how much they'd done on their own that they hadn't even had time in study group to share (though we certainly had already shared a LOT there!).

Best of all, when I read the year-end reflections, I was thrilled. The students at GHS--and PHS, too, I am sure--are so fortunate! Ultimately, they are the ones who benefit from the enthusiasm, comaraderie, "tool box" of strategies, and new knowledge of books that was demonstrated in each portfolio I read.

Not only was I inspired enough to stay up til the A.M. hours to read these, I just had to share my excitement! Now. . . I just hope someone reads this since you are all through with your blogging "requirements."

Congratulations to all RAISSERS!! and their students!!

No comments: