Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yearbook

In preparing my Reference Guide and finishing my journals for today, I recalled what we learned from Dr. Feathers, of Wayne State University, at our GHS professional development. She spoke about the relationship of images to text and how that aids in reading and comprehension. I've been working with my yearbook staff all year on "Telling the story" of the spread or picture. I'm going to incorporate this idea into my lessons for yearbook next year. I hope that students will understand that the yearbook is not just about the pictures, that it is a combination of the images and the story.

2 comments:

Mrs.H. said...

That is the same idea with broadcasting as well. We talk (or maybe it's more me)about finding, shooting images that tell the story, not just wallpaper or a background for their words.

Libby said...

I often think when I am being Power-Pointed to death by students (or sometimes adults) how wonderful it would be if people understood the power of images and the power of fewer words on the sign/page/slide. While the words in the yearbook or senior project are very, very important, it is the images that remain with the viewer long after the words have faded away. Good job guys!