Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cell-Phone Novels are best sellers in Japan

My read aloud today was about an article I read over the weekend. I read portions of it and summarized it mostly. Novels being written by text messaging in Japan have been very popular for a few years. Students love cell phones and this grabbed their interest right away. Even though this was an algebra 1, part 1 class and the very first day, I wanted to get them interested, thinking and writing. Part of their class assignment was to pretend they were text messaging and write a few lines of a novel that they would write about their favorite thing to do. This would help me get to know about something they liked and also give me some insight to their creativity. It went over very well.

3 comments:

McAbee said...

Fantastic Kathy...your insights are changing my thinking.

arahman said...

This is a very interesting idea, and I'm sure it grabbed the students' attention. We live in a world of texting and messaging, so it appeals to them immediately. As a English teacher, I have staunchly kept to the notion that writing for my class in "txt" is unacceptable. Maybe allowing my technology addicted students to have a txt journal would show them that there is a place and time for different types of writing. Thanks for the idea!

egreen said...

Ooh, Amber! That seems like a great idea to let the students have a txt journal. I hope you try that out and share the results with us.