Tuesday, January 22, 2008

To do "The Scarlet Letter" or not to do "The Scarlet Letter"?

English teachers, or anyone who has read Nathaniel Hawthorne's symbolism rich novel, I have a conundrum. For the past three semesters, I have chosen not to use this novel, but after speaking to some colleagues who feel that it is integral to the American Literature experience, I may try to integrate it into my curriculum. My problem is, WHERE DO I FIT IT IN? What do I cut? I don't feel I have the time necessary to devote to reading the novel in class (I have multiple struggling readers,) time to discuss the symbolism, character relationships and themes. I enjoy the novel, but I have students who are lower level and I just feel that it will be torturous for them...and me. Am I being selfish or realistic? Any ideas? Go ahead and try it, or let it be for now? I'd appreciate any candid responses.

5 comments:

hahenglishteach said...

My personal belief is that your enthusiasm, or lack thereof in this instance, will be the catalyst for student interest. If there are certain themes or literary devices/terms that need to be address, find another work that you can use instead that you feel will benefit all your students and that you can enjoy teaching!

vic said...

I agree, but another thing to consider is the subject matter and the background of our students. Would the puritanistic community be too hard for them to relate to? Maybe I'm being too critical of their environment, but I think they might be able to focus on the literary elements better in a novel or story they can better relate to their own experiences. Just a thought!

D. Spears said...

I loved this novel when I read it in graduate school, which surprised me because I absolutely loathed it in high school. It's too advanced a novel for the regular kids we teach. I can appreciate it's symbolism and themes as an adult, but it's hard for students. Yes, it's a great American literary work; but there are plenty of others. If kids really want to read it, they can. However, the world will not stop if the kids don't read it. Look at your students. Can they realistically get through the novel and understand it? If the answer is no, then you know what you need to do.

McAbee said...

I really think we should get together and do a lesson together next year Amber.

arahman said...

Thanks for each of your perspectives. I've decided not to do this novel this year. But this summer, I'll be looking at ways that I can integrate it to at least give it a go for one semester. I'm glad to see that so many of you agree with me about assessing the students in my classroom and recognizing that perhaps this is not the best way to reach them or teach them the important concepts involved. I can focus on those concepts with other pieces of literature and try to reach them in a way that does seem relevant to their own experiences.
Mark,
I think we should definitely collaborate next year since so much of our material is alligned. We could probably do like Gwyn and Melissa did on Coll. Planning days and use that time to work on it.