Tuesday, January 22, 2008

More ideas!

At the end of the semester, with time to spare after the EOC, I had my algebra one, part two class do an activity involving using the newspaper. I took the idea to practice finding percents, but I noticed as the papers were on the desk that they did get a good bit of perusing the news. It sparked conversations among the class members. It was nice to hear them collecting information and conversing on matters in the news. Now that the new semester has begun, I am looking for reading material for my algebra students. I cannot see using class time to give silent reading because I have the pressures of the EOC bearing down on me and cannot "afford" to give up enormous amounts of time to reading. I would like ideas of books that are math motivated to introduce math concepts. I have used Curious George and the donut shop book to introduce scientific notation. It was great, but I simply cannot find more books to help me teach upper level math classes. Any ideas are welcome.

No comments: