Monday, January 28, 2008

SSR and Journals

This semester my students will have sustained silent reading every Monday-Wednesday for 10 minutes, followed by a journal prompt. In the past week it has been a great tool. Most everyone has been very receptive to the routine. My journal prompts range from "curriculum-related" questions (If you had to lose one of your senses, which would it be and why? while studying The Miracle Worker) to free writes related to personal entries and SSR reflection. My favorite part is getting to know my students each week when reviewing their entries.

2 comments:

egreen said...

I am trying SSr in my classes also. I am thrille with how it worked in my College Level class. They all read, and about 5 of them asked to borrow a book from me or the book cart. That was wonderful. I have also tried it with freshmen, who are in the lowest possible math class. I had 3 out 12 of them actually read even though I told them it would be a classwork grade. HELP!

hahenglishteach said...

I use this with my freshman students...some of them it is a matter of finding specific magazines and books that they relate to.