Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Raise & Rithmetic

Surfing the web, I came upon a book "Writing to Learn Mathematics" by Joan Countryman. Once again, I see another strong advocate of journal writing, but not just from the students but teachers as well. I agree, but I have to "tweek" what I have been doing in my classes for years using the "Free Response" model. Students turn in a free response question and I return it to them providing comments, encouragements, suggestions and just back-and-forth dialogue and give them the opportunity to "try-try again". What I would like to do is provide this opportunity more frequently and in all of my classes.

2 comments:

broebuck said...

I plan to visit Barnes and Noble this week-end and I intend to look for the book "Writing to Learn Mathematics". It sounds interesting. I have never used journal writing with my Geometry classes but I plan to do so second semester. I especially like your "Free Response" model and the dialogue it creates between teacher and student. Keep up the good work!

curlyq said...

This is an interesting idea. I have no used journals in my classes before, but I would welcome the new way of assessment. I will check this out. Thanks!